Monday, February 23, 2015

Week 3 - My Frequently Used Websites

The websites that I frequently use usually vary depending on my mood and what I'm feeling like doing on a particular day whether it be research, staying in touch with friends, and/or just having fun.

First, I will begin by stating that my homepage is Apple.com but just by reading my previous post you'll know how I feel and what I think about this company's website.

Besides Apple, my most commonly used website is Hulu (http://www.hulu.com). I think it is well organized and presented in a very neat and organized way. There is a menu bar at the top that has a search feature in the middle. If you’re a subscriber/user you’ll see your screen name on the far right in a white font for easier access to your account/profile and ability to customize settings such as other devices used, auto play options, and cancellation of service if not too thrilled about Hulu, but I think it’s quite an awesome show. Not related to the website itself, but unlike Netflix, with Hulu you can watch current shows and although their movie collection is a little more limited there are also a bit more commercials but the price of being current with some of the more popular shows. On the far left in green and white font you have the Hulu Plus logo and next to it are the other menu options such as TV shows, movies, kids, and original Hulu shows. Which make it easier to sort through the major areas the website is divided. The cool part is the showcasing of some current shows and/or movies for the day, since it changes on a daily basis for the most part, which is a nice way to attract you to some of the popular shows being streamed or present something that otherwise you wouldn’t watch. Also as you save favorite shows and have some added to your queue, Hulu goes on to suggest similar shows based on your recently watched shows/episodes and the shows that you liked.

Another commonly used website I frequent visit is Volaris.com (http://www.volaris.com). Being Mexican I have found it that I can easily save a lot of money on air travel by booking a plane that depart from the International airport in Tijuana. I love he San Diego airport, besides being an excuse to roam around and further explore downtown, but I have no patience to wait long lines and put up with the traffic in the loading and unloading areas of the airport let alone the expensive pricing of tickets and once inside the cost of snack and food depending on how “early” I arrive to wait to board my flight. The Volaris logo is on the top left which never changes position so you know what airline you’re making plans with. Also reminiscent of a Rolodex with colorful tabs are the main menu sections/links that are easy to navigate and take you to the appropriate information being sought. There is also on the top right there is a search bar in case one is looking for something specific, although I’ve never had to use. Emphasizing the Spanish orientation of the website, the cool aspect of the website and something not commonly seen in many American websites is that on the top far right next to the search bar you have a Mexican flag icon with the word EspaƱol that once you click it, turns to English with icon of American flag and magically translates the whole website for you. Even more amazing is that the layout of the website and menu/links don’t change position or color but you’re reading it in the language you feel more comfortable with. Another cool aspect is that the upper center portion of the home page hold the place to look for flight, round trip or not, and the currency of Mexican pesos or American dollars that will be used to purchase flight. I know we don’t see much of this dual language website being consistent regardless of language being read but I think it’s a cool website to check out especially if flying to Mexico or other areas in the U.S. for slightly cheaper offers than in the San Diego or Los Angeles airports. Trust me when I say that there are many people coming from China/Japan and other Americans (white Caucasians too) when my family and I are at the Tijuana international airport; just don’t forget your passport!

No comments:

Post a Comment